International Student Film Festival “NEW WAVE”, summarized hereinafter briefly as the Festival, is organized by New Bulgarian University, department “Cinema, Advertising and Show Business”, keeping the tradition of NBU Student Film Festival.
2. Objectives of The Festival.
The specific aim of ISFF “NEW WAVE” lies in promoting and aiding the development of short films , as well as supporting and encouraging young filmmakers during their education and afterwards. The Festival will give students the opportunity to come into contact and implement future joint projects. It will also motivate them to start shooting their own movies, meeting the highest quality standards. Maintaining lasting partnerships between film schools and other festivals is also one of the goals of The Festival.
3. Dates and location of the Festival
ISFF “NEW WAVE” will be held from 23th to 25th January 2014 in Sofia, Bulgaria.
4. Programmes of The Festival
A) Official Competition Programme
- In the Official Competition Programme of The Festival the right to participate have short fiction, animation and documentary movies from film schools in the countries of the Balkan Peninsula and the Black Sea region (Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Moldova, Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia).
- The movies should be directed by students in a regular form of education from the first to the last semester, regardless of their degree – Bachelor or Master. Movies must be produced with the support of the higher education institution. The participation of students in the rest of the team or the cast is not a sufficient condition for selection.
- Films should not exceed 30 minutes in length, including credits, and should be produced after 01.01.2013.
B) Out of Competition Programme – ALUMNI
- In the Out of Competition Programme the right to participate have short or feature films, animations and documentaries of graduated students of New Bulgarian University, studied cinema program.
- Films must be directed by graduated students studied in a regular form of education in New Bulgarian University, regardless of their degree – Bachelor or Master.
- Films must be produced after 01.01.2012.
5. Jury and Selection Committee
The Selection Committee of ISFF “NEW WAVE” consists of five members. They could be film professionals from all areas of the film industry.
The Jury of ISFF “NEW WAVE” consists of five members. They could be film professionals from all areas of the film industry.
The Selection committee is not obligated to motivate its decisions when refusing to approve a film for participation.
The Jury votes by secret ballot motivating its every decision for granting an award for a certain film.
6. Official Selection and Screening.
The Festival has no submission tax.
Each film which has fully completed set of documents for participation will be reviewed by the Selection Committee.
Films, propagandizing pornography, racial, ethnical and/or religious, gender or sexual discrimination or violence will be ignored.
The movies must have subtitles in English, if the language of the dialogue is different than English. Movies with dialogues in a language other than Bulgarian will be subtitled in Bulgarian, if necessary.
Once a film has been selected it cannot be withdrawn from the Festival programme during the event.
Copies for the screening of the selected films must be send in format DVD-R PAL region 0 or as a HD file in format MPEG4/codec H264. The movies must be without menu on the DVD copy and with embedded subtitles. The copies of the films will not be returned to the sender and will be kept in the Festival’s archive where they can be used for non-commercial and educational purposes only.
The Festival does not pay fees to the authors for film screenings.
The Films cannot be shown more than three times during the Festival.
Films must have a clear copyright. The Festival is not liable for claims of a third party to infringe a copyright or related rights. The Festival reserves the right to broadcast excerpts within 3 minutes of each movie to promote the Festival, but not more than 10% of the length of the film.
The Festival is not responsible for lost or damaged copies on dispatch.
All films must have the specified name of the film, director, year, duration, country of production and correspondence address.
Each film must be sent with a separate entry form.
When sending the movies by mail or courier a value not exceeding 5 euro must be declared. Costs of sending the film are at the expense of the producer.
The package must be marked “No commercial value – for cultural purposes only”.
Only films that meet the following conditions will be reviewed by the Selection Committee:
- Printed and signed entry form.
- 1 DVD–R PAL region 0 or a HD file in format MPEG4/ codec H264
- Trailer of the film in HD file in format MPEG4/ codec H264
- Director’s photo – JPG minimum 1000×1000 (300dpi) max 2mb
- 3 Stills from the film – JPG minimum 1920×1080 (300dpi) max 2mb
- Poster of the film – JPG minimum 3000×2000 (300dpi) max 2mb
- Synopsis in English and/or Bulgarian
- Director’s biography and filmography in English and/or Bulgarian
- Dialogue list in English and/or Bulgarian by e-mail.
Post stamp dated no later than December 15, 2013 validates the submission.
International Student Film Festival “NEW WAVE”
res. quarter Ovcha Kupel,
21, Montevideo Street
New Bulgarian University, building 1, room 304
1) Award “Grand Prix” – a statuette , a diploma
2) Best Fiction Film – a statuette , a diploma
3) Best Documentary Film – a statuette, a diploma
4) Best Animation Film – a statuette , a diploma
5) Audience Award – a statuette, a diploma
6) Award “Honoris Causa” – given to a film professional by the students of New Bulgarian University
1) Award for Best Directing – a plaque ,a diploma
2) Award for Best Screenplay – a plaque ,a diploma
3)Award for Best Cinematography - a plaque,a diploma
4) Award for Best Film Editing – a plaque,a diploma
5) Award for Best Production Design – a plaque, a diploma
6) Award for Best Film Music – a plaque, a diploma
7) Award for Best Film Sound – a plaque, a diploma
All film awards will be given to the producer, director or their official representative.
All awards for professions will be given to the person himself/herself or his/her official representative.
The awards cannot be remised or replaced with their financial or other equivalent.
In case there is no representative to receive an award on the official ceremony it will be sent by mail within 1 month after The Festival.
Festival will invite one or two representatives of each movie.
The accreditation form of the film representatives will be sent back to their e-mails.
The accreditations of the festival guests, representing films, are free of charge and include 3 or less nights spent in an accommodation facility, access to all screenings, workshops, seminars and other festival events. Travel expenses are paid by the guests.
Media accreditations are free of charge and include access to all screenings, workshops, seminars and other festival events.
The accreditations for film professionals are free of charge and include access to all screenings and festival events (except workshops and seminars to which they will have access in case there are any vacant seats).
The access for students is free. The tickets for spectators without accreditation cost 3 euro, for children and pensioners – 1 euro for a block of movies which equals an hour and a half.
9. Additional provisions
The Festival reserves the right to disqualify any film or author violating the Rules and Regulations of The Festival.
If a film is in the Official Selection or has received an award from the Festival its authors are obligated to put the special sign of the Festival when promoting the film. The special sign of the Festival will be available to be downloaded from the official website of the Festival.
By signing the entry form the filmmakers agree with the Rules and Regulations of The Festival.